What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium-Nitride?
Magnesium nitride is an inorganic compound having the chemical formula Mg3N2. It's part a cubic crystal system. At low temperatures, pure magnesium nitride is a yellow-green powder and magnesium nitride which contains part of impurities made of magnesium oxide is grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium nutride is 100.95g/mol. The density of the mineral is 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is completely dissolvable in acid and water, but is partially dissolvable when mixed with the ether and ethanol.
The melting point for magnesium nitride is 1500 °. Magnesium Nitride, like many metal nitrides reacts with water to produce ammonia. It is frequently used as a catalyst. React with acid or nonmetallic oxides and form ammonium salts and magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a natural ceramic nature. Magnesium nitride is highly resistant to corrosion resistance and greatly enhances the efficiency of production. Magnesium nitride has also high thermal conductivity, as well being high corrosion resistance as well as temperature resistance. Magnesium Nitride has an additional significance due to its use as a catalyst in the chemical synthesis of boron.
What Is Magnesium-Nitride Used For?
1. Used as a catalyst when making nitride from other elements with high hardness as well as high thermal conductivity, wear resistance, corrosion resistance and the ability to withstand high temperatures. The first successful creation of cubic boron nitride its catalyst was magnesium nitride.
2. The product is designed for use as high strength steel melting additives. Magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) replaces the magnesium that has been desulphurized for construction melting, which helps to increase the density, strength in tension and bearing power of steel. In addition, the process of magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurization, can reduce the quantity of other additives, helping to lower the cost of production for construction steel.
3. For the preparation of special ceramic materials;
4. To make a special alloy foaming agent;
5. In the manufacture of special glass
6. For crosslinking with catalytic polymers
7. To reuse nuclear waste;
How do I Make Magnesium Nitride?
Presently, the most popular methods for making magnesium nitride are direct reactions method of magnesium powder with nitrogen, reaction method of carbon with nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow as well as the method for the explosion of magnesium coils in nitrogen atmosphere Chemical gas at low pressure as a complementary product method, self propagating high temperature method for synthesis, nano magnesium Nitride synthesis method for example.
Recently, G. Soto et al. prepared amorphous magnesium nitride films with different Mg:N ratios Si substrates in a molecular nitrogen environment through an application of pulsed lasers. These methods hinder their industrial production due to the high price, lengthy process, complex equipment operation, or a lower yield of magnesium oxide.
Although the direct reaction between magnesium powder and nitrogen can have economic value, the production of magnesium oxide powder requires greater temperature of reaction as well as a longer reaction times, and the shape of particles is incomplete and easy to agglomerate which does not meet specifications of industrial quality. The decomposition of NH3 may be accomplished into Nwhich has broken bonds faster than N2 and the decomposed H2 could slow the growth of MgO, so ammonia gas could be used as the nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. used ammonia liquid as a nitrogen source for the preparation of magnesium nitride via direct Nitriding of magnesium powder. The following conclusions could be drawn: Using thermodynamic analysis, liquid ammonia may react with magnesium powder quicker than nitrogen in the preparation of magnesium nitride. magnesium nitride in excellent purity and uniform particles can easily be prepared at 600 and ammonia atmosphere for 1 hour. It is then heated up to 800°C, with an ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min with the nitriding process takes 1 hour.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Supplier
We are a trusted chemical material manufacturer and manufacturer with over 12 years' experience in providing super high-quality chemicals and nanomaterials. Examples include silicon, nitride powder, graphite , zinc sulfide calcium nitride, 3D printing powder, etc.
If you're interested in high-quality Mg3N2 powder, please feel free to get in touch with us and make an inquiry. (firstname.lastname@example.org)